Pupils engage in a wide variety of activities in the curriculum: swimming, dance, football, basketball, and a mixture of other ball games.
We supplement this with a range of extracurricular opportunities. All pupils should be appropriately dressed to participate in physical exercise. No jewellery should be worn in school (except sleepers) for health and safety reasons.
Essential characteristics of physically active pupils:
- The ability to acquire new knowledge and skills exceptionally well and develop an in-depth understanding of P.E.
- The willingness to practise skills in a wide range of different activities and situations, alone, in small groups and in teams and to apply these skills in chosen activities to achieve exceptionally high level of performance.
- High levels of physical fitness.
- A healthy lifestyle, achieved by eating sensibly, avoiding smoking, drugs and alcohol and exercise regularly.
- The ability to remain physically active for sustained periods of time and an understanding of the importance of this in promoting long-term health and well-being.
- The ability to take the initiative and become excellent young leaders, organising and officiating and evaluating what needs to be done to improve, and motivating and instilling excellent sporting attitudes in others.
- Exceptional levels of originality, imagination and creativity in their techniques, tactics and choreography, knowledge of how to improve their own and others’ performance and the ability to work independently for extended periods of time without the need for guidance or support.
- A keen interest in PE. A willingness to participate eagerly in every lesson, highly positive attitudes and the ability to make informed choices about engaging fully in extra-curricular sport.
- The ability to swim at least 25 metres before the end of year 6 and knowledge of how to remain safe in and around water.
Physical Education has one threshold concept:
- Develop practical skills in order to participate, compete and lead a healthy lifestyle:
This concept involves learning a range of physical movements and sporting techniques.