Modern Foreign Languages (Italian)
Although languages is optional for KS1, at Adamsrill all pupils have the opportunity study Italian curtesy of the Italian Embassy.
Essential characteristics of linguists:
- The confidence to speak with good intonation and pronunciation.
- Fluency in reading.
- Fluency and imagination in writing.
- A strong awareness of the culture of the countries where the language is spoken.
- A passion for languages and a commitment to the subject.
- The ability to use languages creatively and spontaneously.
- An independence in their studies and the ability to draw upon a wide range of resources.
The threshold concepts in languages are:
- Read fluently: This concept involves recognising key vocabulary and phrases.
- Write imaginatively: This concept involves using key vocabulary and phrases to write ideas.
- Speak confidently: This concept involves using key vocabulary and phrases to verbally communicate ideas.
- Understand the culture of the countries in which the language is spoken: This concept involves the background knowledge and cultural capital needed to infer meaning from interactions.